South Africa’s popular food blogger Thuli Gogela got it right when she mixed Tshohlo (a Sotho word for shredded chicken), mango atchar and a few other special ingredients to make a fab quiche filling. To bring out those fruity and spicy flavours, she shares the following recipe where she serves it with Nederburg’s Foundation Rosé.
This is how she did it to serve 12 – 18 guests:
4 chicken breasts
125ml (½ cup) boiling water
2 bay leaves
1 chicken stock cube
15ml (1 Tbsp) canola or olive oil
1 big leek with leaves, chopped
½ red pepper, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
3 tomatoes, peeled and diced
250ml (1 cup) mango atchar
15ml (1 Tbsp) fresh thyme or 5ml (1tsp) dried thyme
2.5ml (½ tsp) freshly milled black pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste (optional)
800g puff pastry
Flour for dusting
250ml (1 cup) full cream milk
For final assembly
30ml (2 Tbsp) dried pumpkin seeds
- Cook chicken breasts with water, bay leaves, chicken stock and turmeric in a saucepan on a hot stove.
- Cook until done, so the breasts are white throughout. Leave to cool.
- Shred the chicken using a fork and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium sized pan. Sauté the leek, red pepper and garlic for about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, atchar, thyme and pepper. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken to the leek and atchar mixture. Mix well and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pastry, and cut into 12cm diameter circles.
- Lightly grease a muffin tray and ease the circles into the muffin cups.
- Prick the bottom of each circle with a fork, line with wax paper and fill with beans, rice or samp.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the wax paper with beans. Adjust the oven temperature to 180°C.
- Spoon Tshohlo mixture into the blind baked pastry cups.
- Whisk milk and eggs and pour over the Tshohlo mixture. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Leave to stand for 10 minutes before removing the mini quiches from the muffin tray.
- Enjoy with Nederburg Foundation Rosé.
This is one of the easy recipes you can prepare.