Toyota has custom-built a repeat of the Land Cruiser Namib that includes a single-cab derivative based on customer requests. The Land Cruiser Namib version was first introduced to the South African market in Q3 of 2019. Featuring a bespoke overlanding accessory package and aesthetic enhancements, the Namib was exceptionally well received – with all 60 units selling out by January 2020.
The single – and double-cab Land Cruiser Namib editions will share a common package, distinguishing them from their ‘standard’ Land Cruiser 79 brethren.
- Front grille with robust mesh design and prominent Toyota lettering
- Stylised Namib badging on fenders and tailgate
- Heavy-duty steel front bumper with integrated nudge-bar and headlight protectors
- Large, high-intensity LED spotlights with protective covers
- Tubular rear step with integrated towbar
- Protective loadbin skin
- Glovebox with integrated cooling duct
- Protective canvas seat covers with Namib insignia and anti-scuff panel
- Roof-mounted console with LED lighting and storage binnacles
- Upgraded off-road suspension
- 265/75/R16 Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx versions with white lettering
The Namib edition is available in two colours; Ivory White and Sand Beige.
The ‘Namib’ makes use of the revered 1VD-FTV 4.5-litre turbodiesel engine, churning out 151 kW and 430 Nm from a low 1200 rpm (up to 3200 rpm). The Fuel Consumption index is pegged at 11.3 l/100km.
The Namib edition retains all of the standard Land Cruiser 79 D-Cab V8 specification, which include a touchscreen audio system with built-in Navigation, Bluetooth, front power socket, power windows, tilt and telescopic steering column, remote central locking and anti-theft system. The safety systems include driver and passenger airbags alongside an anti-lock braking system (ABS).
Warranty and Service Plan
A 3-year/100 000 km warranty is provided and customers can purchase optional service plans according to their needs.
Model Line-up and Pricing
Land Cruiser 79 4.5D V8 S/C Namib – R 842 200
Land Cruiser 79 4.5D V8 D/C Namib – R 911 500
The production run is planned at 60 single-cab and 60 double-cab models (120 combined), over a six month period, with arrival of the first units at dealerships being imminent.