Thuli Gogela has shared with Mzansi Life her boerewors balls recipe served with Nederburg Baronne. Her balls are made with the meat flavoured with sour cream, chutney, tomato and other delightful extra.
+/- 450g boerewors, removed from casing
45ml (3 Tbsp) fine breadcrumbs
15ml (1 Tbsp) canola or olive oil
3 spring onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
½ red, yellow or green pepper, chopped
1 red chilli, seeds removed and chopped
3 tomatoes, peeled and diced
45ml (3 Tbsp) tomato paste
30ml (2 Tbsp) sweet and sour sauce
15ml (1 Tbsp) chutney
15ml (1 Tbsp) red wine vinegar
30ml (2 Tbsp) sour cream
1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
Handful fresh basil, chopped
2.5ml (½ tsp) dried mixed herbs
400ml (1 can) red kidney beans, drained
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl, combine the boerewors and breadcrumbs. Form balls and place them on a greased baking tray.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat the oil on the stove and sauté the onion, garlic, pepper and chilli for approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sweet and sour sauce, chutney, red wine vinegar and sour cream.
- Stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the stock cube, fresh basil, dried herbs and beans. Add water if necessary. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Gently add the boerewors balls and adjust the seasoning according to your preference.
- Remove from the heat and serve on a bed of mashed potatoes, pap or spaghetti.
This is one of the easy recipes you can prepare.